Friday 8 March 2013

Mascara Review – NYC, MAC, Chanel, Christian Dior, Laura Mercier


Before & After - my left eye is NYC Skyrise, and my right eye is Christion Dior New Look




I feel like I always begin any review with “I’m really fussy about…..” and I’m going to say the same about mascaras! I’ve got so many requirements of the little tubes of loveliness, including but not limited to: stays on for 12 hours without specks of it appearing under my eyes at anytime, not waterproof but doesn’t run if I cry or get caught in the rain, lengthens & separates but is not clumpy, and finally, does all the aforementioned without making my eyelashes feel crispy. Phew, no pressure makeup giants. Oh, and if it comes off with water and a flannel, bonus points!

I usually find that a thin or small brush is the best for separating lashes, so all the mascaras listed below are of that flavour. I’m now however in a quandary since as I age I have found that my eyelashes are becoming sparse, and this in turn means I need to add “volumizing” to my list of requirements. Does such a wonder product exist?

Here are a few of my favourites:

Laura Mercier Long Lash – I didn’t think this would be a great hit with me when I saw the size of the brush (not small or thin, but “normal” sized!). I was pleasantly surprised however, as it does separate well, stays on well although not cry proof, and doesn’t create the dreaded crispy eyelashes. It came off easily in the shower with just water too. Love that. The downside to this mascara is it’s pricey at £20 considering it dries out very quickly.

 

Chanel Inmitable – another “normal” size brush but this one has the plastic bristle type of brush, which in general I’m still undecided about. It’s a lovely not too wet not too dry consistency but only after using it a few times. Do you know what I mean, when you find mascara that gets better with age, but then doesn’t last long as it gets too dry? This is that very fella. It stays on well, and there is only a forgivable very light crisping up of the lashes, but again it’s expensive at £24. This claims to also give volume but I can’t say I’ve noticed that.
 

NYC Skyrise lengthening – this was a fantastic find for only £2.49 from Superdrug and when I put it on, it was an instant winner. I love the smallish traditional brush and the consistency was perfect. It really felt like I had lengthened my eyelashes without too much effort. It lasted all day, my lashes still felt flexible and not dry, so it was in edge of becoming a Holy Grail product. The worry I have is that with that first use, I also wanted to try my Christian Dior mascara (below) and being impatient I decided to put the NYC on one eye, and the CD on the other. On the eye with NYC, I had itching and mild soreness for most of the morning. Being of the female variety, I did not let that stop me trying again and the following day I tried it on both eyes and had no reaction at all. The third day, I had some itching. I’m still not sure if it was this mascara causing a reaction, but it does seem quite a coincidence when I put it on one eye, so it’s something to watch out for if you buy it.

 

Christian Dior New Look  - Yay, a mascara with my kind of brush, i.e. tiny! It’s so cute! It’s plastic, and tapered, and apparently full of new technology and it certainly looks like there is a lot going on with the “multidimensional” bristles. A Lash Multiplier serum treatment is supposed to help thicken your lashes, and on first use, I think I’m in love, oh yeah. You need no more than one coat of this beauty, and you are set to go – thicker longer lashes. £23 puts it on a par with Chanel and Laura Mercier, so I’m just hoping that this doesn’t quickly dry out as they did. This is going to be my “in a rush” or “special night out” mascara :0)

 
MAC Extended Play – this is an old love that will always have a special place in my heart as I used it on my wedding day last October and it lasted all day long through the tears etc, and still looked great. It washes off with water, separates & lengthens wonderfully, and at £14 is not too crazy a price. The brush is a long thin one, and the packaging is small which I love. The only thing that doesn’t put it as my numero uno is that it dries out my lashes and you know how I hate that. Not only does it feel weird having brittle eyelashes, but for some reason it makes me play with them more and I end up pulling out little lashes, no wonder I’m thinning in that area eh!  

 

 
If I had to choose one of the above to repurchase? The NYC one. It does everything I need to for £2.49, bargain, and I’m hoping the sensitivity was temporary or unrelated. To be honest though, it’s highly likely I’ll be trying some new drugstore ones cause as I mentioned earlier, I now want to add in the volumizing aspect. I see another mascara review in my future :0)

What’s your favourite mascara ladies?

No comments:

Post a Comment