Monday 21 February 2011

Silk Nail Extensions


Having my nail extensions done and maintained used to be as important to me as breathing. Ok, maybe not quite that important, but really really important. I had them done fortnightly and chose acrylic as they were the strongest. One evening, one of my beautiful talons caught on the toilet flush and tore not only the acrylic nail off, but nearly all my natural nail too, leaving horrible looking flesh and a bit of nail bed. Eeeurgh and Ouch!

Since that unfortunate accident about 6 years ago, you can imagine that I haven’t been overly keen on having false nails again! That and the cost of keeping them maintained.

However, I did think it would be nice to have them done for special occasions and the curiosity of the new gel nails proved too much. I have to say that they lasted a long time as promoted, but the downside is that you can’t soak them off yourself but have to go back to the salon to get them removed. (Goodness knows what they use, I tried with pure acetone which works on acrylic but it didn’t budget them) I just waited for them to grow off in the end, not pretty for quite some weeks!

Having a hankering for a new set of nails in the last month or so, I didn’t know what to try, until I found an Edinburgh Salon offering Silk Nails. Doing some research I found that Silk nails are more flexible than Acrylic (by which I interpreted will not take your whole nail with it if it comes off), so feeling brave (or a fool I hear you cry)  I decided to give them a go.

The process of actually having them done  was pretty much the same as with either gel or acrylic, except that instead of a paste or just gel, there was a small square piece of silk put in between two layers of a thinner gel type substance. The whole process took about 1 hour and 40 minutes and was painless. Again, the actual look of them is no different to any other type of nail, and they certainly felt as strong. The picture above was taken 3 hours after having them done.

Unfortunately, by 5 hours post full set, my thumb nail had broken. Putting aside my relief that my own nail was still in tact and I felt no pain, it was quite disappointing. Over the next few days I noticed that it felt rough at the sides on a couple of nails and there was a small indent which if it caught on anything would no doubt break the nail, so I filed them down a bit to smooth them out. This I think has prevented any more breakages.

They’ve been on for a week today and still look pretty good, but because I was too clumsy immediately after the polish and ruined it a bit (you’ll see if you look closely at my forefinger and thumb), I decided to take the French polish off and see what they looked like with a nice pink on them. I think they look better and not quite as stubby as they did with the French polish, which I think suits a longer nail best (or perhaps a thinner more elegant looking hand hehe!).

No comments:

Post a Comment