Wednesday 10 April 2013


Best Moisturizers for Dry Skin

It may seem strange that I've just posted several pages on oily blemished skin, and now I’m talking about my experience with dry skin. I have a condition called Poly-cystic Ovary Syndrome, which I sometimes take medication for. I say sometimes, because it’s not the most pleasant of medication, and takes me from one extreme to the other. When I’m not on it, my skin is oily and blemished, when I am on it, my skin is crazy dry and itchy. Who knew being 40 would be this much fun he he.

So, the dry skin problem was new to me a few years ago and I went in search of a new moisturizer to suit… I experienced many bad ones, and lots of good, and I've listed here what I think are the best 5 moisturizers (in no particular order), and the different reasons you may wish to purchase them depending on what you are looking for i.e. budget, effective makeup base, pleasant smell, etc.

Dr Jart+ Most Moist Water Max Sleeping Mask


This costs £17 for 50ml, so isn't the cheapest around, but this is the one to buy if you are looking for pretty packaging that can be displayed proudly, along with efficacy of course. It feels luxurious going on, and I love the easy to use and hygienic pump bottle. You know one of those products that you instantly know you love? This was one of those for me. My skin felt instantly calmed and I woke up with less of that tight feeling you get with dry skin. To add to my confidence in the product, I went for a facial and the beautician told me my skin was in very good condition and highly moisturized, which I put down to this little cutie.

It has some lovely exotic sounding ingredients too with wonderful properties:

  • Oat Extract - hydrates dry skin without irritation. Helps to reduce moisture loss and maximize moisturisation
  • Cactus Flower Extract - Excellent moisture retention ability, anti-inflammatory
  • Okra Extract - Skin softening and anti-ageing properties


MAC Mineralize Charged Water Moisture Gel

This costs £26 for 50ml, so pretty expensive for a moisturizer, but this is the one for you if you want something to give you masses of moisture, but still provide an amazing matt makeup base. I must admit, I wasn’t sure at all when I first used it, as I couldn’t figure out how my skin could feel both matt and moisturised at the same time! I knew that I loved it underneath my makeup, and I’d almost call it a primer in that respect because my makeup lasted longer and the foundation just seemed to sit better, but it took a few days for my suspicion of the lack of moisture to disappear. I noticed dry flaky patches disappearing, and I knew it did what it said on the tin.

I’m not overly keen on the jar as I believe jars like this are a little unhygienic and exposed to the air more won’t last as long. It can’t have put me off it that much though, as having restarted my medication recently, this is the one I chose to buy in preparation for the dryness. I won’t use it twice a day, or even every day, but probably twice or three times a week to top my levels up and before makeup for special occasions. Why didn’t I buy the cheaper Dr Jart one? Simply because I wanted a good makeup base, and I would feel a bit weird using an overnight mask in the daytime!

Clarins Hydra Quench Cream

This costs £34 for 50ml, and is the most expensive of the five, but oh my goodness the smell is indescribable and amazing and totally worth a treat if and when you can afford it. I bought it with some birthday vouchers, and would definitely now put this on my gift wish list.

It has Hyaluronic acid in, Katafray bark which restructures the skins protective outermost layer, and Sorbier tree bud which stimulates radiance-boosting microcirculation. Sounds good and it feels good!

It comes in jar, so a few points lost, but it’s a glass jar and I assume that’s how it manages to be ice cold and feel so cooling on your skin. My worry would be for sensitive skin though, as it’s so highly perfumed that it may irritate. This is definitely one to buy if you are looking for a luxurious smelling decadent treat, and it’s gel like texture does a fabulous job of increasing moisture levels.

Dr Organic Vitamin E Pure Oil

One from Nature, this is the choice for you if anti-ageing is your main concern, since Vitamin E is known for doing wonders for both dry skin, and wrinkles, woohoo. I find it ironic though that Dr Organic calls this “Vitamin E Pure Oil” but then you find that the ingredients also include:

Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) seed oil, Rosa canina fruit oil, Tocopherol, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Calendula officinalis flower extract, Rosa damascena flower oil, Citronellol, Geraniol”.

Is it just me that would expect the only ingredient to be Vitamin E if it says “Pure”?! Ok, so maybe I’m a fusspot. This is great value at £8.49 for 50ml, and I guess the number one thing to say about this is that it works. It’s not my favourite product to use, just because it does leave you with a bit of a greasy film, but to avoid that I normally try and put it under a moisturizer, but I suppose that may well dilute the effect slightly.


Garner Skin Naturals Soft Essentials 24hr Nourishing Day Cream

This is the budget option at £5.99 for 50ml, but I had high hopes for it as I enjoy many Garnier products. As it was enriched with rose water, I imagined a lovely rose scent and this is the only area it let me down – it does say “fruity fragrance” on the pot but I think either my sense of smell is disappearing with age, or I’ve got a random pot that is missing an ingredient he he. It has no smell at all.
Along with rose water, the cream has Shea butter, and Vitamin E also, so a nice combination of ingredients and this would be great for someone with sensitive skin.

Although it’s a day cream, and did live up to it’s “non greasy” claim, I preferred to use it as a night cream. It just feels like a night cream if you know what I mean – in a jar and lovely thick cream, with no spf although it does say it has a UV filter.


So, that’s my top 5, I hope you found it useful. Any others you gals have tried and love? Here are a few honorable mentions:

  • Superdrug Coconut Oil 125ml - £1.50
  • No7 Beautiful Skin Night Cream for Normal / Dry Skin 50ml - £13.50
  • Eucerin Dry Skin Replenishing Face Cream Night 5% Urea with Lactate 50ml - £12.50
  • Johnson's Daily Essentials Nourishing 24hour Day Cream with SPF 15, for Dry Skin (50ml) £4.50
  • La Roche-Posay Nutritic 5% Biolipids Ultra-Fine Emulsion Transforming Care For Very Dry Skin 40ml - £13.60

No comments:

Post a Comment